Friday, December 14, 2012

CHRISTMAS STORY COUNTDOWN

Here we are less than two weeks away from Christmas and I haven't made any posts about all the fun Christmas related things that I have been up to. It's no surprise that with all the decorating, crafting, and yummy baking that goes along with Christmastime, that this is one of my favorite times of the year. But more important is all the wonderful time I get to spend with my family, especially my little boy. He is truly the best present I have ever received. 

Similar to my Halloween story advent calendar, I made a Christmas one using holiday-themed fabric to make the bags and calendar.  My son loves opening the bag and finding a new story each night.  We cuddle up in front of the Christmas tree and read the story before bed. This time with him is the most important thing to me.

To make it a surprise (next year he should understand more), I make selecting the book sort of a game.  First, at my local craft store I purchased some different patterns of Christmas material. Using a sewing machine, I made simple little fabric bags (big enough to hold a book each).   Next, I made an advent calendar for the countdown to Christmas, with each day/square a different patterned fabric to match each bag.  I place one book (possibly two if they are short) in each bag and place all the bags in a basket. 

Here's a list of the books that I used this year. There are so many other great Christmas/Holiday themed books out there too!

1. HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS
by Dr. Seuss
2. BERENSTAIN BEARS: OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS
by Stan and Jan Berenstain

3. BERENSTAIN BEARS MEET SANTA BEAR
by Stan and Jan Berenstain

4. BERENSTAIN BEARS TRIM THE TREE
by Stan and Jan Berenstain

5. THE BIGGEST, MOST BEAUTIFUL CHRISTMAS TREE
by Amye Rosenberg

6. CAILLOU: HAPPY HOLIDAYS
by Marilyn Pleau

7. THE CHRISTMAS STORY
by Jane Werner Watson

8. CLIFFORD'S CHRISTMAS
by Norman Bridwell

9. MERRY CHRISTMAS, MOM AND DAD
by Mercer Mayer

10. MERRY CHRISTMAS, LITTLE CRITTER
by Mercer Mayer


11. THE LITTLEST ELF
by Brandi Dougherty

12. MICKEY SAVES SANTA
by Sheila Sweeny Higginson

13. DONALD'S CHRISTMAS GIFT
by Sheila Sweeny Higginson


14. MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL
by Sandy Creek

15. MICKEY MOUSE CLUBHOUSE: CLUBHOUSE CHRISTMAS
by Susan Amerikaner

16. THE NIGHT BEFORE THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
by Natasha Wing

17. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
by Clement Clark Moore

18. POLAR EXPRESS
by Chris Van Allsberg

19. POOH: THE SWEETEST CHRISTMAS
by Ann Baybrooks

20. RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER
by Rick Bunsen

21. SANTA'S TOY SHOP
by Al Dempster

22. SNOWMEN AT CHRISTMAS
by Caralyn Buehner

 

23. THOMAS' CHRISTMAS DELIVERY
by Rev W. Awdry

24. THOMAS AND THE CHRISTMAS TREE
by Rev W. Awdry

25. TOM AND JERRY'S MERRY CHRISTMAS
by Peter Archer


 
Some of these books were Christmas classics that I loved when I was a child, and remember reading with my parents. I cherish those memories and hope that my son will too when he's an adult with children of his own :)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment