Wednesday, December 19, 2012

CHRISTMAS KOLACHE COOKIES

Every year, I bake several different kinds of Christmas cookies and treats for my family as well as for friends and neighbors. While I always try to make a few new recipes each year, there are some true favorites (most of them family recipes) that I bake every year.  One of these family recipes is my grandmother's recipe for Kolache. These little jelly filled cookies are a hit with everyone!

 
WHAT YOU NEED:
*6 cups flour
*1 tsp. salt
*1 tsp. sugar
*1 pkg. dry yeast
*1 lb. butter
*3 eggs
*3/4 cup milk
*fruit preserves of your choice (I use raspberry, strawberry, and apricot)
*powdered sugar for dusting
 
WHAT YOU DO:
 
Pre-heat oven to 375*. Sift together flour, salt, and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over mixture. Cut in butter until its like cornmeal. Add 3 eggs and 3/4 cup of milk. Mix well. Divide into 3 balls and chill.
Roll out dough on sugared (not floured) board. Roll until dough is thin. Cut into squares. Fill with desired filling. Pinch closed.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cooled.
 
 
Makes about 11 dozen cookies. 

 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment