Monday, January 21, 2013

CHILD HANDPRINT ORNAMENT

I know Christmastime is over and everyone is now focused on the fun of decorating and preparing for Valentine's Day. But in the hustle and bustle of the holidays and the new year, I forgot to post a few ideas and recipes from over Christmas. 
I've always loved making handprint items with my son.  The idea of having these little memory items many years from now is so important to me.  Thanks to Pinterest I have found so many cute ideas for crafts using your children's prints and I can't wait to try some of them! 


This Christmas, instead of using a gift tag for family member's presents, I had the idea to make these cute little handprint tags! And the best part?  With the ribbon (not pictured) attached, these tags make adorable Christmas tree ornaments!  Everyone loved them and they are so simple to make!

WHAT YOU NEED:

*Sturdy felt (I used thick white felt with glitter to resemble snow)
*Acrylic craft paint and a brush
*Sharpie
*Grommet

WHAT YOU DO:

The first thing that I did was to put my son in his high chair so that he could not run around the house once he had paint on his hands. *This is the most important thing if you have a very energetic child.*  I started by carefully painting the palm of my son's hand with a craft sponge brush.  Next, I made a print of my son's hand on the glitter side of the felt.  I made several prints on the felt, generously spread apart in case I didn't like the first print that I got.  Once I had several prints made, I cleaned off my son's hands before he could get paint anywhere and then let the prints dry for about 15 minutes.  When the paint is dry, I selected the prints that looked the best and cut them leaving a shadow of felt around the print.  With a sharpie I wrote the "Merry Christmas! Love, Colton" and the date.  Lastly, I added a grommet and ribbon for hanging. 


How simple and adorable is that? I loved it so much that I made a similar one with his name and date on it for our own tree!  The best ornaments on our tree are the ones that have special meaning to us! Several years from now when my son is grown up, I will be able to look at his little handprint and remember this Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment